The GPH Doctoral Programme invites applications from suitable candidates with an academic background in areas related to public health sciences namely in medicine, health sciences, epidemiology, statistics, management, economics, political science, demography, sociology, anthropology, etc.
Eligible applicants must have obtained a Master´s Degree and preferably have some research experience. Being a full time student is also a mandatory requirement.
The 4th edition of the Programme will select a maximum of 12 candidates.
Applications must be submitted online. A complete application must include the following components:
- Application form (available online)
- Summary of proposed research (maximum 2.000 words, excluding references) or motivation letter mentioning research themes at the partner institutions (maximum of 5 pages, with a maximum of 5000 words).
- Curriculum vitae (maximum 5 pages, with a maximum of 5,000 words)
- Certificate of Qualifications (mentioning final grades)
- Certificate of passes in the curricular units (with reference to the respective grades);
- Motivation letter
- A Reference letter
- Identification document – Copy of ID/citizen card or passport.
Only applications that are fully completed will be considered.
The Foundation for Science and Technology – FCT will finance two Global Public Health Scholarship per school. Interested candidates will have to apply separately to these scholarships:
- Institute of Public Health, University of Porto
- NOVA National School of Public Health
- NOVA Institute of Hygiene of Tropical Medicine
- NOVA Medical School
- 1st Application Phase:
8 June to 3 July 2020
- Pre-selection of candidates for interview:
6 to 9 July 2020
10 to 16 July 2020
- Publication of selected candidates:
17 July 2020
3 to 7 August 2020
- 2nd Application Phase*:
14 August 2020 to 7 September 2020
- Selection of candidates:
8 to 10 September 2020
- Publication of selected candidates:
11 September 2020
28 to 30 September 2020
* The 2nd application phase is only for vacant posts in the 1st phase and may not open if all the vacancies have been filled
There is an application fee of 51€. This should be paid in the 48 hours after submission:
– By bank transfer – IBAN – PT50 0781 0112 0000 0004 6237 3, not forgetting to send a copy of the transfer document to the NOVA National School of Public Health Academic Services (email@example.com) with a mention of your first and last name.
Admission criteria will classify the present and potential research skills of the candidates.
Specific conditions for admission: Academic background in areas related to Public Health such as: medicine or other areas of health sciences, epidemiology, statistics, administration, economics, political science, demography, sociology, anthropology, among others. Applicants will only be eligible if they hold a master’s degree, have some research experience and are willing to be full-time students.
The evaluation will be done according to the following criteria
- Curriculum vitae, with maximum of 5 pages or 5.000 words (30%)
- Research Protocol or Motivation letter (20%)
- Interview (50%)
The jury will give each item a rating from 1 to 20 values and the final score will be a weighted average of the 3 criteria.
[ Tie-breaker criteria: applicants will be sorted on the basis of the rankings assigned to each of the evaluation criteria in the following order of precedence: 1) The sum of the CV and motivation letter; 2) Interview. ]
Aiming to attract the best candidates the selection process will target national and international students in a competitive open process.
Candidates who have been selected for a FCT GPH grant, are automatic admitted to this Programme.
Academic year start date:
28 september 2020